Milk is one of the food items that gets spoiled very fast. Every time you throw it away, you are actually throwing away money. Hence, it is not only the wastage of food but also money. You can prevent this from happening by storing your milk correctly in the refrigerator.
Unfortunately, most people are not aware of how to store milk in the refrigerator properly. Since the temperature inside the refrigerator can be different in some spots, you will have to ensure that the milk is kept in the appropriate chilled zones. Otherwise, milk may get spoiled faster.
In most homes, milk cartons or pouches are stored in the refrigerator door. According to experts, this is the worst space for storing your milk. This is because every time you open the fridge door, the stored milk will get exposed to the hot temperature outside. Warmer temperatures allow many bacteria to grow faster and spoil the milk. The risk of spoilage is higher when the refrigerator is kept in the kitchen, the hottest room in the house. Hence, you must always refrain from storing milk on your refrigerator door.
Always keep milk packets at the back of the refrigerator shelves. Consider using the bottom or middle rack, instead of the top shelf when thinking about how to store milk. This is because hot air rises, which can make the top shelf a few degrees warmer than the lower shelves.
Tips to increase the shelf life of milk
Here is how to store milk at home:
- Keep the milk away from warm temperatures as much as possible. Do not leave it outside the refrigerator for too long.
- When you are purchasing milk at the grocery store, always take it at the end of your shopping. This will allow you to reduce the amount of time your milk stays exposed to warm air. Hence, bacteria growth will be slower.
- The ideal temperature for storing milk is 37°F. If it reaches close to 40°F, the chances of your milk spoiling will increase.
- The ideal spot for storing milk in your refrigerator is the back of your bottom shelf. It is the place that gets exposed to warmer temperatures the least.
- After using milk, never leave it on the kitchen countertop for too long. Store it in the refrigerator as soon as you are done using it.
- Avoid keeping the door open for too long when looking for snacks. Otherwise, a lot of food items stored in the refrigerator can get spoiled besides your milk.
If you want good quality milk with a long shelf life, buy Lactel Milk. You will not have to worry about how to store milk at home. They ensure that the milk cartons reach the stores faster, so that the customers can enjoy a longer shelf life.